Monday, June 13, 2011

Retro Swimsuits

Fashion is known for trends coming and going faster than one can say abracadabra. Then of course, they usually end up cycling back again. 70's garb? Check. Skinny jeans? Check. Stripes? Oversized sunglasses? Check. Check. One of my absolute favorite revivals for this summer is the retro swimsuit.   

1950s Vogue

The retro swimsuit is so chic and so flattering, who wouldn't want to lounge around a pool, sipping a cocktail, while wearing an ever so fabulous swimsuit.
Here are some of my modern day twists on how to sport the retro swimsuit.

Anthropologie's Natalie One-Piece sweetheart neckline and boy cut legs is the perfect piece to lounge poolside in.

I love polka dots and this darling J. Crew Retro Underwire tank in navy hits the spot.

 This Phillip Lim Halterneck swimsuit gives a peek into sexiness and sophistication.



Topshop's Black Scallop Stripe's graphic print is perfect for the summer heat.


Add a splash of color in Carmen Marc Valvo Solid Bandeau.


Pair this demure style with beautiful flat sandals, a great cover up (I love caftans) and you are ready for a stylish afternoon brimming with sun and fun. These suits are particularly perfect for a pool party where you can enjoy yourself without feeling uncomfortable. 


Complete the Look


or

a cotton embroidered tunic
 
and
a studded sandal

or

a colorful wedge


What is so fantastic about the retro swimsuit is that it is forgiving in all the right places. It shows off and conceals just enough to be comfortable while looking stylish. After all, who says a one piece can't be sexy?

14 comments:

  1. They totally cycle!! I have been rocking my mother's dresses on repeat for a few years now! I get the best compliments and when they hear the dress is circa 1982, their jaws drop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your take on swimsuits Susan :) I'm now your newest follower ( thanks for visiting Picket Fence Fancy xx )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very stylish! They are more sophisticated than the average suit!

    ciao from Newport Beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have NEVER tried this style but I am loving that Anthro suit. Perhaps I should step outside of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the scallop striped bathing suit! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree more! Retro suits are so glamorous and sexy--I love 'em! I love that scalloped/striped one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely swim suit finds!! Love the b&w suit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The retro swimsuit is back!? Seriously!? You just made my summer! Love! xo Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  9. These suits are great, LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these swimsuits. They are perfect, not too revealing but not too covered up either. I love how classy these swimsuits look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them - so classic, they'll never go out of style!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think retro swimsuits are classy and timelessly sexy. I also love those color wedges!

    Thanks for the sweet blog visit. Love your blog!

    Happy Friday! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete